Sunday, June 17, 2007

Strawberry Tart with Creme Patisserie


Have you ever heard the saying, ‘The fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree?’ Well, I’m afraid to report that there is some truth to that. I’ve been downloading stuff from the Internet onto my blog this whole week. I’ve become my Dad! I’m a gadget junkie! I’ve downloaded visitor counters, music from Sonific, and most importantly, my favourite song of all time, ‘True’ from Spandau Ballet. I’ve tried to download more songs, but have been unsuccessful. The how-tos are still too complicated for me. The thing is, I find myself LOOKING for things to download. I just hope this isn’t becoming a new obsession! Yikes!

Today, I’m presenting a recipe for a Strawberry Tart with Crème Patisserie, you can use other berries that are in season, if you like. I used Mulberries from my dad’s tree once, and it turned out really well. An idiosyncrasy of mine, if you don’t already know it is that I use Salted Butter for all my baking. I just prefer the overall outcome. There’s a more rounded taste to the baked goods, if you know what I mean, and it doesn’t leave me craving for something savoury after I’ve finished Dessert!




I’ve used a Rich Shortcrust pastry also known as ‘ pate brisee’ for the base of the tart. It has a higher proportion of fat compared to the basic shortcrust pastry and it’s made with an egg yolk and chilled water.

STRAWBERRY TART WITH CRÈME PATISSERIE
For the Crème Patisserie
3 egg yolks
¼ cup caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp plain (all purpose) flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups milk
2/3 cup double cream

400g strawberries, hulled and halved, then tossed in a 2 tsp caster sugar

For the Pastry
2 cups plain flour
12 tbsp chilled salted butter, diced
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp chilled water





To make the pastry, sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk with the chilled water and sprinkle over the dry ingredients. Mix to a firm dough. Put the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead for a few seconds, until smooth. Wrap in clear film and chill for 30 minutes.

Remove the dough from the fridge and place in between two large pieces of baking paper. Roll the dough to the shape required, depending on the tin you are using to about 1cm in thickness. Remove the top piece of baking paper and lifting the dough from under the bottom piece of baking paper, ease the dough onto your tin. Still using the baking paper, press the dough lightly on the base and sides of the tin, and then run the rolling pin over the top of the baking paper to neatly trim the excess dough. Wrap in clear film and chill for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 200 C. Remove the pastry from the fridge and prick the base of the pastry, line with baking paper and baking beans and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for 10 minutes more or until the pastry is a nice golden colour. Leave to cool.

Beat the egg yolks, sugar, cornflour, flour and vanilla together. Bring the milk to the boil in a pan. Slowly pour on the egg mixture, whisking all the time. Pour the custard into the cleaned pan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until it has thickened. Return to a clean mixing bowl, cover the surface with a piece of clear film and set aside to cool. Whip the cream until thick, and then fold into the custard. Spoon the crème patisserie into the pastry case and spread out evenly.

Arrange the strawberries on top of the crème patisserie. Refrigerate the tart until ready to serve.


35 comments:

Sylvia said...

Carol ,I’m a gadget junkie ,too! :)
Your strawberry tart looks great,is one of my favorite tarts.

Cutie said...

Carol, the tart looks amazing. I was reading your blog and I somehow felt that your kind of life is what I want. If I have a choice in future, I would also want to be a 'Homebody'. hehe... Anyway, gonna try making the tarts one day.

Big Boys Oven said...

very interesting dessert that you have there, very red and very juicy. I bet it must be very delicious especially your lovely and mouth watering handmade tart cream(custard cream?).
I usually stack the strawberry as whole and up side down where the tip facing up and then glaz them with melted apricot jam and top with deep green pitaschio. or, slice strawberry and stack them on top of each other and glaz them.

Bel said...

Oh my!! I think you've outdone yourself with this post Carol. The tarts look deeeeeeeeelicious and a million times better than similar ones sold in bakeries around town.

Would you like to adopt me...please???? :oP

Anonymous said...

wow! your tart looks simply delicious. I was just thinking of making one the other day. My MIL make this tart whenever it is the strawberry season. It's so delicious.

Anh said...

Your tarts look wonderful... And It's a great pleasure to disciver your beautiful blog, too. :) Keep up the good work!

SteamyKitchen said...

I am a sucker for gadgets too. My husband won't let me watch late night tv when all the cooking infomercials come on!

Ming the Merciless said...

You made your OWN pastry dough shells? Wow!! I'm super impressed.

The photos are amazing, as usual, esp. the first one. It looked like a professional picture from a magazine.

Did you use a tripod to shoot the photos? The clarity is amazing.

Big Boys Oven said...

We are trying to do our best for this show preview. We got a breverage sponsors and venue too. We also having a man suits doing their preview, meaning we are having a couple of male models doing a runway show. Tomorrow I hope to get another well known ladies fashion designer to do his runway walk too.
Keeping my finger cross. Sunny is sweating now! hahahha....

Oh for the love of food! said...

Sylvia,
Thanks for linking me to your blog. Considering your kitchen and homewares, I bet your gadgets are really tasteful!

Cutie,
Thank you, I hope you will realise all your dreams!

BB Oven,
Looking forward to more of your stunning creations!

Belinda,
The thought of adopting a child has crossed our minds.. but we weren't looking to adopt a son-in-law (as well) anytime soon! HA!HA!
p.s. My daughter Chloe made a comment on your blog.

Cooking Ninja,
Thanks, I love your current post on Korean Pork Bulgogi!

Anh,
Thank you for your very kind words, I shall do my best!

Steamy Kitchen,
Guess what? My husband's the same!

Ming,
Thanks, I can always count on you for the loveliest compliments. You're really sweet.
No, I don't use a tripod. I just have a steady hand, well, most of the time anyway.

Wendy said...

These sounds wonderful. Strawberry season has just begun in Scotland too!

Amrita said...

Ohhhh that looks sooooo good....I...like..pastry ...cream...hehe....Good job!

Ming the Merciless said...

I don't have a super steady hand. So I have to use a tripod when I shoot magnified photos. Otherwise, they come out jitterish.

Oh for the love of food! said...

BB Oven,
Sounds very exciting, guys, wish I could be there!

Wendy,
Thank you!

Amrita,
Thanks, I love pastry cream too!

Jackson,
Thanks for the compliment!

Ming,
I tend to delete lots of lousy shots after I've taken them though, so it's not all good. ;0(

KellytheCulinarian said...

This puts me in the mood for an afternoon tea!

Anonymous said...

Carol, hymmph :P Where did you get such beautiful fat, plump juicy strawberries hehe..and the custard cream..wow, so creamy and fluffy !! :) Lovely tarts !! :) Give me 1/2 a dozen, I'll be happy for the rest of the night hehe :)

Bel said...

Now Carol - are you ABSOLUTELY sure you don't want to adopt me? Nathan is a nice boy and will make a great son-in-law...hehehehe :oP

Please thank Chloe for commenting on my blog - she obviously has exceptional taste in music!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Carol, what a lovely blog you have here! These strawberry tarts look fantastic, the rectangular one is particularly interesting.

Ali-K said...

Carol, your blog is delicious and you've truly outdone yourself with the strawberry tart. Keep it up.

Oh for the love of food! said...

Kelly,
Thanks for visiting!

Dear Shirley,
You should come visit me, I'll make you all the sweets you want, and you can make me all your wonderful dishes!

Belinda,
I'm sure Nathan is a nice young man, check with me in 15 years or thereabouts, at the moment I'm still much to young to have a son-in-law! For now you can be my little sis. I've passed Chloe your message.

Patricia,
Thank you so much, you are very kind to say so.

Ali-k,
Thank you, I'll certainly do my best!

Oh for the love of food! said...

Jaden,
I'm having trouble submitting comments on your blog for some reason, I've tried so many times. This has'nt happened with anyone else. My comments keep disappearing into thin air everytime I click on 'submit' . When I try again, 'Word Press Error' comes up.

Bel said...

OK - little sis I'll settle for :o)

Where are you going on your travels anyway? Somewhere exotic? I agree - travel research/planning is fun and exciting and I LOVE roaming the globe. I just felt so defeated when writing my post, hence the headache...hehehehe. All good though - we'll get there :o)

Anonymous said...

for the first time i made a pear pie...worked out really great...i think i will try a tart next...yours looks great...i too use salted butter...anyway...can i use the recipe without eggs...just wondering

Oh for the love of food! said...

'Lil' Sis" Belinda,
We will be going to S'pore and then to Chiang Mai in Thailand. I'm really excited because I've never been to Chiang Mai. I love Thai Food and I'll be taking lots of pics for my blog!

Dilip,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, you can leave the egg out for the tart base. Give it a go and tell me how it turns out, won't you?

Bel said...

"Big Sis" Carol - yummmm....Thai food's one of my favourites too. Was just flicking through some of my Vogue Entertaining & Travel mags today, and noticed lots of "Visit Singapore" ads. The food and shopping will be brilliant! Lucky you! :oP

Anonymous said...

Carol--Just found your lovely Aussie blog through Patricia's Technicolor Kitchen in Brazil--and I'm in Chicago! I love this about the Internet. The strawberry tart looks fabulous, and your reason for choosing salted butter makes sense here. Looking forward to exploring more of your recipes.

Oh for the love of food! said...

Belinda,
We go to S'pore often enough, we were there all through Christmas and New Year, I've always wanted to visit the U.S.though, so you are very lucky too. Are you going by yourself or with Nathan? When's the Wedding?

Terry b,
Thanks very much for dropping by, hope to see you here again!

Anonymous said...

Btw, where in AU are u located, dear ? My best friend migrating to Perth next year *sob* Who knows, she might be the lucky one next door neighbor to u *sob sob*

Oh for the love of food! said...

My Dear Shirley,
I'm in Perth! don't worry, I'll look after her when she comes. I will e-mail you my phone number when the time comes, Oh (hug, hug) I know how you feel, my two bestest friends live in the U.S. ! one in D.C. and the other in San Pedro, L.A.

Breadpitt said...

oh carol, your tarts is making my sliver dripping while im typing ...i hardly could find nice strawberry even im working in hotel the strawberry taste awful sour not the out of shape .....im on "tart mode" lately too..going to make some as well .the picture were well capture , looks professional , i hope im able to take such a pic too

regard ko wai

Melanie C said...

I'm going to make this on Saturday for guests. I'm cheating though and I've bought a base from M&S. I've got too much else to do for the dinner [that's my excuse] to also make pastry. I'm going to use your creme patisserie recipe and take up the tip from one of your comments regarding melted apricot jam glaze for the strawberries. I can't wait to make this. Wonderful blog btw.

Eating Tales said...

I think you're strawberry tartlets look fantastic!! I too have had a go at making them - if you want to check them out it's http://www.blog.eatingtales.co.uk/latest-news/the-last-couple-of-weeks-in-my-kitchen/

Eating Tales said...

I think you're strawberry tartlets look fantastic!! I too have had a go at making them - if you want to check them out here

sildenafil citrate said...

I thought it was an excellent blog, that information has been very helpful in my life, I am a strawberries lover, so I really enjoyed this reading, the strawberries taste is so delicious! Thanks for this great moment!

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.