Last Sunday we had lunch at a Dim Sum Tea House in the city. Frankly, I was'nt keen on having dim sum, not after tasting the most beautiful and delicate dim sum during my recent visit to Kuala Lumpur. I just did'nt want to spoil that memory. But for some reason, my husband Ming was quite adamant that it was what he wanted for lunch that day. So, Dim Sum it was, and "Eew" is all I can say. I hardly ate that afternoon.
Molly, my daughter Paige's "bestest" friend was with us. She wanted Mango Pudding for dessert, and I knew that the place we were at served a nasty (and I mean that literally, not 'nasty' as in 'good' in today's 'modern ' English) mango pudding. The main ingredient in their mango pudding is custard powder. Need I say more? Anyhow, I must tell you that Molly isn't any ordinary 10 year old. She's the youngest food connoisseur I know, and I did'nt want her to have a lousy mango pudding. So, I promised her that I'd make her some soon. 'Soon' happens to be today.
Before I continue, you must be wondering why we had lunch at that particular dim sum Tea House if the food was that bad. The truth is, it's one of the best dim sum places in
Ok, this mango pudding recipe was given to me by a wonderful lady, Mrs. Betty Khoo. Friends like her are like "hugs from God". Do you know anyone like that? Well, when I was pregnant and very sick, so much so the hospital was my second home, she came by every day without fail with food for Ming and myself. I’m one of those unfortunate women who throw up about every 15 minutes and am bed-ridden throughout pregnancy. Well ‘Aunty’ Betty has been like a mother to me since my own mother passed away 14 years ago. So, Aunty Betty, this posting is dedicated to you.
What you need..
- 3 Large Ripe Mangoes
- 1 Litre quality Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3 packets Aeroplane ‘mango mania’ jelly crystals
- 600ml. boiling water
- Empty the three packets of jelly crystals into a bowl with the 600ml of boiling water and stir until the jelly crystals dissolve.
- Dice 2 mangoes into tiny cubes and puree the last mango.
- Mix the diced and pureed mangoes together with the ice cream in a bowl , then pour in the jelly mixture and stir well.
- Spoon pudding mixture into serving bowls and refrigerate until set and ready to serve.